Now Just GBP£11.85 ($19.00)+postage
Page 1 of 2:
This Japanese Larch had been field-grown at a bonsai nursery and was dug up in early March 2005 by a friend.
The rootball, still complete with groundsoil, was wrapped in damp burlap and sent on its way to me via the Mail.
Within a few hours of receiving the tree, I had bare-rooted it to remove all of the sticky-clay ground soil and planted it up into a generously-sized wooden box with inorganic soil.
Bare-rooting the tree enabled me to see the surface roots of the tree and establish which was the front of the tree.
I had already decided that the tree was too tall; reducing its height would make the trunk look stronger and more powerful.
As the tree had just been through the ordeal of being dug up, shipped and then potted up, I decided to hold off pruning until the had tree recovered and I saw it had regained its vigour
With aggressive feeding the tree had recovered well and grown vigorously through Spring 2005.
By June I decided to start the process of developing the branching.
Having established in my mind which branch would be used as the new leader for the trunk, all live growth above this point was pruned away.
However, the trunk above the new leader had interesting movement and I decided I would keep this and turn it into a deadwood feature, a jin.